What are the Types of Nonimmigrant Visas and How to Acquire it

July 9, 2020

First, let’s define a Nonimmigrant visa. They are for foreign nationals who would like to enter and stay in the United States temporarily. The type of Nonimmigrant visa depends on the purpose of travel to the U.S. Of course, each visa has different requirements.

It is vital to know these things if you are planning to visit or plan to work in the United States. You don’t need to ask why, because preparation would always make your life easier; most especially when applying for a US Visa.

So here are the various type of visas to help you know where you belong:

The O1 Visa

This type is perfect for those who have extraordinary abilities. Also, persons who have excellent achievements in the television industry, the O1 Visa might be the one for you.

Of course, you have to provide proof that you have an extraordinary ability in your respective field. You could provide certifications, medals, and plaques to prove yourself.

With the O1 visa, there is no limit to the number of times you could extend your status. According to, you can work for multiple different employers in the United States. Make sure you check out the site if you want to know more about the O1 visa.

The B1 Visa

Besides being a popular tourist destination, the United States is also a great place to do business. The B1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that permits foreign nationals to enter the U.S. for business purposes.

With the B1 visa, you can develop business relationships and visit the U.S. as many times as necessary for business. If your visa expires, you could always apply for another one.

To qualify for the B1 visa, you must fulfill all the criteria needed. Your intent for visiting is business-related, you have enough money to cover your stay. Also, you have to show intention to return to your home country as soon as your visa expires.

The B2 Visa

The B2 visa is a temporary, nonimmigrant type of visa that allows foreign nationals to enter and stay in the U.S. for a short period of travel, recreation, or family purposes.

With the B2 visa, foreign nationals can celebrate holidays in the United States. Also, you can tour to different cities, attend social gatherings, enroll in short study courses which they won’t receive credit for, and many more.

Unlike the B1, B2 visas are intended for foreign nationals who would like to enter the U.S. as a tourist and enjoy their time during their stay.

The P Visa

The P categories of visas such as P1, P2, and P3 are for nonimmigrants that will enter the U.S. to perform in athletics or entertainment. It is a temporary employment type of visa.

Holders of P visas are allowed to enter and stay in the U.S. during the duration of a specific competition, event, or performance. If you belong in this category, make sure you know the complete details of the schedule so you’ll be able to stay from the start to the end of the schedule.

The J Visa

This type of visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs that are designed to promote education, arts, and sciences. If you’re a student, a trainee who wants to obtain on-the-job training in the U.S., this type of visa is perfect for you.

If you’re a student and a J visa holder, you should note that you are not allowed to enter the United States earlier than 30 days before the start of your program.

The F1 Visa

An F1 Student Visa is issued to international students who are attending an academic program or English Language Program at a U.S. college or university.

The process of obtaining the F1 visa is simple but is very time-consuming. Make sure you start this process as soon as possible so it won’t delay and affect your education.

To qualify, you should provide proof that you are a foreign national and intend to return home. You also should be admitted to an approved school, has sufficient financial support, and have strong ties to your home country.

The K1 Visa

This is a special visa that allows the fiancé of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States. Once they are married in the U.S., the fiancé can change their status and obtain a green card.

There are a lot of benefits for a K1 visa holder. They will be able to adjust their status in the United States. They can apply for work authorization as soon as they enter the U.S. They can also have immigration benefits for their children.

If you are going to apply for the K1 visa, your partner should be a U.S. citizen. They are the one who is going to petition for you. You both should be free to marry, and you have to get married within 90 days.

If you intend to enter and stay for a temporary period in the United States, there are many available nonimmigrant visas for you. Whether you are doing business, a student, an athlete, or an entertainer, there is a perfect visa for you.

You need to assess your situation to know which visa applies to you. With your internet connection, you can research and discover different types of nonimmigrant visas.

All you need to do is to be patient. Once you found a visa that suits your intended reason for entering the United States, prepare your documents and start processing immediately. Prepare yourself for the interviews, expect a long period waiting for your results. Also, prepare your money for the amount you’re going to spend to obtain a visa.

In the end, you’ll be able to enter and stay in the U.S. to do your business, or to study, or to travel. The process, time, and money are all worth it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4  +  4  =